Magneto is just one of those characters you’re absolutely drawn to! Maybe it’s his incredible powers, maybe it’s because he’s a good guy/bad guy. I needed to make a Magneto Cosplay!!
Magento is from the X-men comics. Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby; and published by Marvel comics. His first appearance was in September 1963, in The X-men #1. Magneto has the ability to generate and control magnetic fields, his best friend and arch-enemy is Charles Xavier (aka Professor X) and he wants to conquer the world for Homo superiors (aka mutants).
I’m a big comic book fan, and I loved watching the 1980’s X-men cartoon series. Therefore when it came to what Magneto needed to look like, I had no other option but the classic red and purple.
- The original bodysuit was made by my local dance shop. In 2016, I made my own bodysuit, which I love because it feels like a soft red onesie!!
- The cape, underpants and gloves, I sewed myself.
- The shoulder, arm and leg armour was made out of foam and covered in worbla, I did this with the belt too.
- The boots I bought and customized them by painting them purple.
- The hardest part of this cosplay was making his epic helmet – I went online and found a pepakura pattern, which I transferred to cardboard and cut out a helmet – perfect fit, until I put on the wig! (*HINT – always measure your head with your hair tied up and the wig on!*). I realised I had to add an extra 4cms all-round just for more comfort. Finally covering it in polyfiller (sort of like Bondo), so I could sand it smooth. I then glued on the details which I made using craft foam. The helmet took me a month to make (on and off) and I’m super proud of myself, as it was the first time I used this technique.
The leg-guards were heavy and hurt my shins, but I had a lot of fun wearing my Magneto Cosplay. I felt really powerful and he’s a really cool characters. The cosplay brought out the villain in me! As a result I tended to shout a lot, maybe it’s cos of the helmet, who knows! 🙂
Hobby Island Cosplay Competition 2016