Hawkgirl is just one of those characters you’re instantly drawn to! Her giant wings and that mace of hers is too epic!! I’ve always wanted to do a Hawkgirl cosplay but this version is a little retro!
Shiera Saunders made her first appearance in the Flash Comics #1 (1940) but only becoming Hawkgirl in All Star Comics #5 (1941), and is one of DC Comics first female superheroes. Originally Shiera was a reincarnated Egyptian Princess, but I prefer the story of her and Hawkman being police officers from another planet, and going by the name Shayera Hol (1960s).
She’s brave, funny and so powerful. I love her fearlessness!
When searching for images of Hawkgirl, I came across the amazing talent of Ant Lucia, who creates our favourite heroines in classic Bombshell variants. I loved that he replaced her wings with a jetpack and flying gear. And coincidentally it turned out, I found a group of awesome ladies who were doing a group cosplay for a con.
- The flight-suit, was bought from a Skydiving company, it came in a funny khaki colour, so I then dyed it to the bottle green, as in the drawing.
- I already owned a pair of maroon Dr Marten, changed the laces to yellow and wore some yellow socks.
- I dyed a white tank top canary yellow colour.
- The black rubber gloves came from a hardware store and I altered them to look more like hers.
- The goggles, I had custom made by the incredible Sin Bin.
- I bought a red wig from the local mall.
- The Helmet – I made using an old roller-derby helmet, which I then added eva foam to it, to create the bird-shape. I then painted and sealed it.
- The Jetpack was made using coca-cola bottles, pvc pipes and styrofoam to get all the shapes. I then glued all the pieces to a small cake-board which was then attached to an old backpack which I cut up (I only wanted the straps but I found it was a good size to attached the cake-board too). Everything was painted and sealed.
- The Hawkgirl symbol badges, I made using foam and covering in worbla.
- I even had custom dog-tags made that read: Shayera Hol, Thanagar
Unfortunately her jetpack didn’t last long on the overcrowded con floor – people just kept breaking the handles, LOL just an excuse to re-make it. But I had a blast as Hawkgirl, and it was so much fun being part of a group. She’s just so kickass!!